lynx-dev

Re: LYNX-DEV New development code

From: Jim Spath (Webmaster Jim)
Subject: Re: LYNX-DEV New development code
Date: Thu, 13 Mar 1997 08:02:12 -0500 (EST)

On Thu, 13 Mar 1997, Larry W. Virden, x2487 wrote:

> how do you wish errors reported for this package?

To this list, eh?  Plus, be sure to include OS name, CPU, stuff like that.

> I first tried building the package by patching in my own localizations
> but the makefile wouldn't build - the WWW/ code couldn't find
> errno.h for some reason.  So I gave up on the INSTALLATION instructions
> and went to the README.configure.

I'll get going on a more complete INSTALL.autoconfigure doc.
"INSTALLATION" should be replaced with a new doc based on configure.

> I tried using the configure to see if that was needed to set things
> up.  Unfortunately, I had to set an export CC, as I couldn't get configure
> to respect my --without-gcc argument.  Even then, I got stuck:
> export CC=cc
> checking for ncurses header file... configure: error: not found

> I have _no_ idea how to tell configure where my curses (or the slang
> for that matter) are installed.  When I did the configure --help I didn't
> see that info as an option.

You should first try the vanilla "./configure" to see what the script does
without options.  That should be the general case.  Tom and I are still
working on the various permutations of curses and ncurses dir locations.
The script will find stuff; you should not need to specify locations, only
choices of features.

I will also put some more time into the --help stuff now that this is
"out of the bag."

------
A brain the size of a planet, and what do I get?

;
;