lynx-dev

Re: LYNX-DEV U201e and U201c

From: Klaus Weide
Subject: Re: LYNX-DEV U201e and U201c
Date: Sun, 16 Mar 1997 11:20:36 -0600 (CST)

On Sun, 16 Mar 1997, Hynek Med wrote:

> BTW, Klaus, U201e and U201c are some kind of quotes, but aren't
> implemented in current lynx chartrans code.. Look for example at
> http://socdem.xion.cz/1250/pro10.htm.

Oh yes, the infamous "smart" quotes.. (I believe that is what they are
called in the MS-Windows world, although I don't know why.)
Too bad they can't be seen even on Windows 95 in a text-mode application
(such as Lynx).

For this sort of thing, first see what the RFC 1345 mnemonics "character
sets" show (the last two on Options screen).  You can regard those
character sets a a kind of built-in debugger...

Excerpt from RFC 1345:
[ I know it's not a good reference for Unicode and wasn't meant to be.
Anybody want to check whether the following are still valid in the current
standard? ]
 '6     2018    LEFT SINGLE QUOTATION MARK
 '9     2019    RIGHT SINGLE QUOTATION MARK
 .9     201a    SINGLE LOW-9 QUOTATION MARK
 9'     201b    SINGLE HIGH-REVERSED-9 QUOTATION MARK
 "6     201c    LEFT DOUBLE QUOTATION MARK
 "9     201d    RIGHT DOUBLE QUOTATION MARK
 :9     201e    DOUBLE LOW-9 QUOTATION MARK
 9"     201f    DOUBLE HIGH-REVERSED-9 QUOTATION MARK

For iso-8859-2 (and iso-8859-1, and most other display character sets),
they should be mapped to the appropriate ASCII characters: <">, <'> and
maybe <`>.

Adding the line

0x22    U+201c U+201d U+201e U+201f

(22 is the ASCII value for <">) to the translation table
(iso02_uni.tbl in your case) lets you read about "Fierlingerismus"
instead of U201eFierlingerismusU201c.  Recompile (no need to `make
clean' for this kind of change).

  Klaus

;
;