lynx-dev

Re: LYNX-DEV win32

From: Larry W. Virden, x2487
Subject: Re: LYNX-DEV win32
Date: Mon, 17 Mar 1997 11:24:51 -0500

> > 4) Sending a downloaded file to an external program (such as an image
> > viewer) suspends lynx and the viewer has to be exited before
> > continuing with Lynx.
>
> It's my understanding that this is a "problem" with all versions of lynx
> since Lynx is intended to be a text-mode browser.  It assumes that helper
> programs are also gonna be text mode and you won't be able to browse until
> they're done.  Someone discussed similar things in X-windows.  I think
> this can be remedied in the mailcap.  I don't have any references handy,
> though. :(

In mailcap, if one specifies an & after the command, return comes back
right away.

HOWEVER, the downside of _that_ is that often a browser deletes the
temporary files it creates when control returns.  This sometimes results in
the viewer no longer having the file it needs for display purposes.
In those cases, one has to mess around with issuing the command with &, then
doing a sleep of some amount of time.
;