lynx-dev

Re: LYNX-DEV Problem Downloading .tgz Files

From: Klaus Weide
Subject: Re: LYNX-DEV Problem Downloading .tgz Files
Date: Tue, 25 Mar 1997 09:24:47 -0600 (CST)

On Tue, 25 Mar 1997 address@hidden wrote:

> Whenever I try to get any .tgz file through Lynx, it sees the file as a text
> file
> and tries to bring it down and display it, rather than download
> it as a binary file. I have no difficulty with Lynx recognizing a .tar.gz
> file as binary and asking if I want to download, nor with any other .gz or
> .zip files. I've seen this effect with both Lynx-2.6 and Lynx-2.7, running
> on both my ISP's Sparcs under SunOS 4.1.4 and my own Linux 2.0.29 PC. I've
> added .tgz to the list of SUFFIXES in lynx.cfg as an octet-stream, but this
> hasn't made any difference. Can you tell me how to get Lynx to correctly
> see these files as binary and download them correctly? Thanks.

Is this about "files" accessed via http: URLs, or about something else?
If it is about http:, this is a server configuration matter.  What Lynx
knows about the Content-Type and Content-Encoding is just what the server
tells it.  See the ']' key or the -head command line flag.

Or just use the 'D' key to download.

  Klaus

;
;