lynx-dev

LYNX-DEV Anyone working on lynx itself?

From: Larry W. Virden, x2487
Subject: LYNX-DEV Anyone working on lynx itself?
Date: Tue, 25 Mar 1997 15:10:38 -0500

An interesting thread was going on a couple weeks ago - here's
the heart of it:

comp.infosystems.www.browsers.misc #12050
From: address@hidden (Alex Matulich 03T1)
[1] Re: I need Lynx exit status codes
Date: Mon Mar 17 08:34:19 EST 1997

In article <address@hidden>,
 <address@hidden> wrote:

>> I've also seen a result code of 255, I think in the output of the `ps'
>> command, when I try something like the above and Lynx finds the page but
>> times out in the middle of transfer. Sorry, don't remember the details.
>
>It's probably not from `ps' but from the message that pops out when I exit
>a program, if the background process ended while the program was running.

In looking at the Lynx source, it seems that Lynx will return either 0 or
-1 (which you probably read as 0xff, or 255).  This is unfortunate,
because there's an opportunity to return all sorts of other results.  I
notice other source files have result codes for not being able to
connect, file not found, and other errors, but these aren't passed back
to main().

--
"These are MY words, not my employer's"     /|
-- Alex Matulich --                __.  __=#||  ___   _o--

This seems like a reasonable request, on the face of it.
;