lynx-dev

Re: LYNX-DEV DIRED-related bug fix

From: Klaus Weide
Subject: Re: LYNX-DEV DIRED-related bug fix
Date: Fri, 28 Mar 1997 13:17:08 -0600 (CST)

On Fri, 28 Mar 1997, Foteos Macrides wrote:

>       Did the 1997-03-26 change in the HTStream structure for
> src/HTFWriter.c eliminate the segmentation faults when downloading
> on linux.  If not, there must still be some memory management glitch
> for linux which needs to be found in v2.7.

I cannot answer that since I had not been able to reproduce the reported
bug on linux.  The original bug reporter should check whether that core
dumping still occurs for him after applying that change.

The conditions for testing have somewhat changed since the link in
which provoked the bug (The "Download" "button" on
<URL:http://www.ecsnet.com/html/21-p0298.html>) now returns
application/x-patch instead of application/[x-]gzip.
But it is not clear that application/[x-]gzip was necessary to induce the
core dump.

I can still (after the change to application/x-patch) sometimes (not
reliably) get the lynx27 binary on SOL to dump core.  The core dump occurs
on quitting Lynx.  To reproduce it:
1.   lyn27 http://www.ecsnet.com/html/21-p0298.html
2.   select and activate "Download" link
3.   answer 'd' in response to
           "application/x-patch  D)ownload, or C)ancel"
4.   return (PREV_DOC) from Download Options screen
5.   select and activate "View It" link
6.   return (PREV_DOC) again to the starting page
7.   q)uit and confirm, --> "Fatal Error" message (sometimes)

The core file has this to say:
(gdb) where
#0  0xef6a1838 in _kill ()
#1  0xef66d7f4 in abort ()
#2  0x30fec in FatalProblem ()
#3  <signal handler called>
#4  0xef67bf40 in realfree ()
#5  0xef67c730 in _free_unlocked ()
#6  0xef67c664 in free ()
#7  0x7ec94 in HTAnchor_delete ()
#8  0x7e534 in free_adult_table ()
#9  0x618d4 in LYCompleteExit ()
#10 0x6181c in LYexit ()
#11 0x2f648 in main ()

(not very helpful I find)

Again, this is Lynx 2.7 and I didn't find that behavior with newer
binaries.  It may or may not be the same problem as the one originally
reported, and may or may not have something to do with the HTFWriter
thing.  But maybe with the detailed instruction above someone can
reproduce the problem after applying latest bugfixes, and then we'll know
more.

  Klaus

;
;