lynx-dev

Re: LYNX-DEV How do I get https to work?

From: Bela Lubkin
Subject: Re: LYNX-DEV How do I get https to work?
Date: Thu, 10 Apr 1997 06:07:41 -0700

I almost hesitate to mention, but...

A couple of times when I've hit an unsupported https URL, I've simply
pointed Lynx at the same URL using an http scheme -- transformed
https://foo.bar.com/why_are_we_encrypting_this_garbage.html ->
http://foo.bar.com/why_are_we_encrypting_this_garbage.html

Those few cases were cases where I did not care at all about the
security of the form data I'd entered.  It would be foolish to send
credit card data this way.  I was just trying to get a quote on a "do it
myself" laptop configuration; what do I care if people see what kind of
laptop I'm interested in?

I don't know whether this would always work (besides the lack of
security).

>Bela<
;
;