lynx-dev

Re: LYNX-DEV Lynx32 blows up when reading >64k

From: Foteos Macrides
Subject: Re: LYNX-DEV Lynx32 blows up when reading >64k
Date: Mon, 14 Apr 1997 14:56:02 -0500 (EST)

Wayne Buttles <address@hidden> wrote:
>On Mon, 14 Apr 1997, Mike Shore wrote:
>
>> I am running Lynx32 2.7ac-0.6 in a DOS window under WinNT 4.0. When typing
>> the following command line:
>>
>> lynx -term=ascii www.businesswire.com/headlines.shtml -dump
>>
>> I get an error message
>>
>> HTML: ****** Maximum nesting of 800 tags exceeded!
>>
>> It only happens some of the time, and I am guessing that it happens when
>> Lynx tries to read in a page larger than 64k?
>
>Nope.  It is a hard limit in lynx that it fail when 800 tags have been
>opened without being closed.  I never thought I would see a site that did
>it on purpose!  They have three <A NAME> tags for every </A> and it builds
>up over ~90k.  All standard lynx compiles have this limit.
>
>I suppose we could up the limit, but how high?

        Why not instead heed the bad HTML statusline message which
precedes the stack overrun, and suggest that something be done
about all those invalidly unclosed Anchors?  Increasing the stack
for nested container elements beyond 800 will just increase the
size of the Lynx image, but won't help Lynx with such severly bad
HTML.  The bad HTML statusline message is not "didactic" as some
presume.  It is issued *only* when the HTML is so bad that Lynx
has little if any prospect of coping with it (though sometime it
does 8-).

                                Fote