lynx-dev

Re: LYNX-DEV Added mailcc restriction to Lynx 2.7

From: Foteos Macrides
Subject: Re: LYNX-DEV Added mailcc restriction to Lynx 2.7
Date: Tue, 15 Apr 1997 21:29:00 -0500 (EST)

Al Gilman <address@hidden> wrote:
>  From: root <address@hidden>
>  cc: address@hidden
>  Subject: LYNX-DEV Added mailcc restriction to Lynx 2.7
>
>  Hello, as I have added another restriction to Lynx 2.7, I thought I would
>  post to this developer's list, in hopes it will make it into the mainline
>  of Lynx.
>
>  I have added the restriction=mailcc to prevent the use of Cc: in any
>  mailto: URLs.  This was a problem for the guest account use of Lynx at
>  DANEnet (http://danenet.wicip.org).  We want to allow for mailto: to be
>  sent, but the Cc: would allow for more general mail to be sent.
>
>Are you assuming that g)o-to-URL will concurrently be disabled?  The
>email address in a cc: is no more general than the email address in
>a mailto: URL in a web page.
>
>What is your model of mailto: that makes it desirable and cc: undesirable?
>
>Do you realize that a mailto: URL may itself indicate a cc: address?
>
>I am not questioning what you do for your site, but if you see this
>as something that should be picked up into the distributed code, some
>more discussion of the desired behavior would help.

        The objective appears to be blocking ability to send mail to
arbitrary addresses, as opposed to ones occurring as mailto HREFs
or ACTIONs in documents, no matter how many recipients are specified
in the document-derived mailto links.

        So what's wanted is to block the "optional" Cc prompt in
LYMail.c, as the patch does, as well as ability to use the mailto
scheme in 'g'oto URLs, without necessarily blocking 'g'oto for
other schemes.

                                Fote