lynx-dev

Re: LYNX-DEV Parser stuff (was: Another fotemods.zip update)

From: Al Gilman
Subject: Re: LYNX-DEV Parser stuff (was: Another fotemods.zip update)
Date: Fri, 18 Apr 1997 08:50:20 -0400 (EDT)

  From: Rob Partington <address@hidden>

  Foteos Macrides wrote:

  >     That's a "feature" which should be understood before changing it,
  > and the FAQ'ers in particular should understand this and be able to
  > explain it in the future.
  >
  >     There is code in GridText.c which disables wrapping in source
  > mode.  It's easy for any programmer to locate that and disable it, but
  > if you do, should you save the HTML source via the 'p'rint menu, the
  > HText structure will retain such "artificial" wraps, and newlines will
  > be present on the ends of such lines -- causing spaces to be inserted
  > at those points -- when rendering the saved (but thereby "corrupted")
  > source file with a browser.

  i'm not intending it to be a substitute for the source mode, more an
  enhancement - perhaps showing element tags in different colours a la
  netscape etc.  it'd be a very poor substitute anyway, because it'll be
  the source code as represented on the screen by lynx (which may or may
  not bear any resemblance to the actual source code.)

  comments?  flames?

Admittedly, if Lynx word-wraps source that is displayed and then
saved, and fails to word-wrap source that is d)ownloaded, this
could be a source of confusion.  But I would perhaps be willing
to take that on that training problem for the benefits.

The usual problem I have is pages generated by Windoze tools
where the only line breaks are at the end of a paragraph.  If
word-wrapping such HTML were the default, it would be a net
benefit.  Even in what is saved.  Since this crap is generated by
tools that have no intention that you should ever look at it or
edit it, I don't think that we should be too religious about "the
true source."

So long as the word-wrapping introduced newlines only where there
was whitespace before, the result is equivalent HTML, no?

There was some irony in that the W3C page all about the great
accessibility things happening was generated in a way that
line-wrapped without word sensitivity, and created whitespace
within words that would have raised hob with a Lynx/JAWS
speech-ouput browse of the page.

But they responded to my ding with the best of attitude.

--
Al Gilman

;