lynx-dev

Re: LYNX-DEV fotemods.zip update

From: Foteos Macrides
Subject: Re: LYNX-DEV fotemods.zip update
Date: Tue, 22 Apr 1997 19:35:07 -0500 (EST)

Al Gilman <address@hidden> wrote:
>  From: Foteos Macrides <address@hidden>
>
>  * When dumping or outputting a rendered document via the 'p'rint menu,
>    Lynx would use the underscore placeholders for submit/image/reset
>    buttons as for other INPUT fields.  We now load the values of
>    submit/image/reset buttons instead of placeholders into the HText
>    structure, so the values will be seen when dumping or outputting
>    via the 'p'rint menu.  See the comments under case HTML_INPUT: in
>    HTML.c for the still less than optimal things that happen if a
>    wrap occurs within the INPUT value or placeholder strings, as might
>    happen in PRE blocks, or for strings wider than the screen. - LE & FM
>
>Is the submit button value only loaded on output via dump or print,
>or does this change mean that one can now reliably find the submit
>button value with a WHERE_IS search?

        It's basically Laura's patch, which Klaus added to the devel
code as is, but which I cast into the "Lynx programming style" (as
defined by me during the past 3 years, and not recorded anywhere,
such that others can only infer it from the existing code 8-), plus
some safety checks, and additions of comments to help explain what
that PRE stuff and concerns about wrapping are all about (which
was too esoteric from just looking at the code, such that Laura's
test HTML file didn't have what's necessary to test it 8-).

        Yes, the submit and reset button values are now being
written directly into the HText structure, instead of just the
underscore placeholders for them, so you will get hits for WHEREIS
searches if their values contain your query term.  The HText structure
still does, and must, have just the underscore placeholders for other
FORM fields, so you won't get hits for those even though their current
values are displayed (by overwriting the placeholders with as much as
fits in the editing window for them, and which the placeholders ensure
will be there, available for overwriting when that section of the
HText strucure is converted to screen output).  The submit and reset
button values also get overwritten in conjunction with converting the
HText structure to screen output and bolding or reversing them as a
link or the current link, respectively, but the actual characters in
them don't change now.

                                Fote