lynx-dev

Re: LYNX-DEV problem report with the develpment version of lynx 2.7.1 0.

From: Klaus Weide
Subject: Re: LYNX-DEV problem report with the develpment version of lynx 2.7.1 0.12ac
Date: Sat, 26 Apr 1997 07:15:07 -0500 (CDT)

On Sat, 26 Apr 1997, Larry W. Virden, x2487 wrote:

> Using the cgi-bin/lynx/current page, I have been patching the development
> version.
>
> I'm doing the autoconfigure on a SPARC/Solaris 2.4/Sun compiler/ncurses 4.x.
> I just noticed an annoying loss of functionality.
>
> When I do a /string search for a string on the page, the new lynx positions
> me properly, but no longer highlights the string.  This makes it much more
> difficult to identify where one is on the page.

Are you using (Tom's slang-like) color?
And do you never see "highlighting" (i.e. *some* change in appearance,
whether the search string is found in normal text or in a link or in
already "highlighted" text?)

Anyway, that is probably caused by the following change:

1997-03-26
* Changed highlighting of strings found by a WHEREIS ('/') search.
  Now uses Christmas tree attribute combination ("all bits are on"),
  which with color support translates to COLOR:7. - KW

This worked for me to also maek search strings appear different with
a mono terminfo entry; if it doesn't in general, I should make it
conditional on color (or something else yet unknown; Tom Dickey, do
you know a good test?).

> Is there something I can do to reactivate this feature?

Locate in GridText.c the three successive lines:

            start_bold();
            start_reverse();
            start_underline();

and remove the first two of them.  Then find

            stop_underline();
            stop_reverse();
            stop_bold();

and remove the last two.  That should restore the previous behavior.

    Klaus

;
;