lynx-dev

Re: LYNX-DEV time for 2-7-2 ? (was numbered forms)

From: Scott McGee (Personal)
Subject: Re: LYNX-DEV time for 2-7-2 ? (was numbered forms)
Date: Sat, 3 May 1997 12:36:54 -0600

Philip Webb asks if it is time to stop and do a 2.7.2 version:

Fote would be the one to ask about 2.7.2. Basically, does he fell that his
post 2.7.1 mods constitute sufficient changes, and is stable enough to call
a new version.

I would be more intrested in how the developers (Fote, notice that I didn't
include you here! You are just doing some hacking while on your "vacation"
[or possibly retirement], right?) feel about their code. How complete are
the various new additions, and how stable are they? I get the feeling that
while it is progressing nicely, that autoconf has a bit to go yet. I kinda
get the impression that chartrans is fairly stable, and win32 seems to be
fairly stable too from what I gather. The new parsing stuff is a different
issue. I don't know what Klaus thinks, but he'd be the one to decide.

If the developers think that thier various projects are ready for a release,
then 2.8 might be in order. It could be viewed either as a normal release,
or a beta release. In fact, a 2.8 beta might be a good idea anyway. It wil
get the code out to sites that don't bother with devel code and provide a
better testing base.

At any rate, it seems to me that Fote should be the one to render an opinion
on 2.7.2 and the current developers on 2.8, 2.8 beta or whatever.

Scott

Scott McGee: Salt Lake Community College Webmaster | When in danger,