lynx-dev

Re: LYNX-DEV Re: responses - Warning, verbose

From: Scott McGee (Personal)
Subject: Re: LYNX-DEV Re: responses - Warning, verbose
Date: Sun, 4 May 1997 13:59:57 -0600

Klaus and Fote,

I have been following (partially) your discussion of an anchor with an HREF
with a URL and a fragment, and a fragment only when the URL in the former
case is for the current document.

I beleive I know of a situation where the two would would yeild different
results, and where Klaus's method of handling it would be correct. Keep in
mind there are several things here I only partially understand so if I am
obviously full of cr*p, please be gentil in telling me so.

I used to have (wish I still did to test this) a page with a random link
in it. The link, obviously, was to a CGI script that returned header
indicating that the desired page had moved, and its URL. The destination
was picked randomly from a list. As I recall, (and I could be wrong, because
it is only based on fuzzy memory) the page was indicated to be at the URL
I had selected in the previous document, not the "new" URL. In such a case,
an anchor HREF with a URL of the CGI script (the "current" URL) and a fragment
would be quite different from such an HREF with just a bare fragment.

The URL+fragment would say to go to the (random) page indicated by the URL
(likely different from the current page, though (if I am right about my
recalling of this) still the same URL) and then position to the location of
the fragment part (if it exists), whereas the latter says to possition to the
location indicated by the fragment in the current page.

Hopefully I am not too far off base, and this note is of some help. Disregard
it if you find otherwise.

Scott

Scott McGee: Salt Lake Community College Webmaster | When in danger,