Re: LYNX-DEV patches (numbered forms + highlighting)

From: Klaus Weide
Subject: Re: LYNX-DEV patches (numbered forms + highlighting)
Date: Wed, 7 May 1997 12:18:21 -0500 (CDT)

On Wed, 7 May 1997, Laura Eaves wrote:

> I again updated my patch files to ac-0.22
> Before I go any further, I was wondering how probable it is that
> the form numbering patch will be picked up by anyone.
> If the developers that be are dead set against it, [...]

I (and I can speak only for myself) am certainly not dead set against it,
and if others are, I guess you would have heard about it.
I just didn't get around yet to really look at them (and maybe nobody else
did).  But I do appreciate that you maintain them and keep them updated.
(It is not strictly necessary that they are always against the latest
ac-0.NN if we want to put in in the development code, but of course it
helps, and is also good for those who want to apply the patches
independently for now).

> Are there reasons I'm not aware of for not wanting to incorporate it?
> The only little nit I see so far is that when you use the list command
> in this mode, the numbers on the listed URLs may not match the link numbers
> in the original document (if that document contains forms).  Is this a real
> problem?  (There are klugy ways to fix this...  But I don't want to spend
> time on it for nothing.)

I think it should be fixed.

I should also incorporate Fote's latest changes for numbering (but in a
way that the old behavior is still there if one wants it), and that would
likely interfere in some way with your patches.  So I prefer to look at
your patches after that, and that at least for now you continue to
maintain your patches separately (since you seem capable and willing to
do that.).