lynx-dev

Re: LYNX-DEV SHOW_CURSOR

From: Laura Eaves
Subject: Re: LYNX-DEV SHOW_CURSOR
Date: Sat, 10 May 1997 11:41:43 -0400 (EDT)

I just noticed that the value of LYShowCursor is ignored unless
compiled with FANCY_CURSES or USE_SLANG.
Otherwise, lynx ALWAYS moves the cursor to the current link (as if LYShowCursor
were TRUE).

I repeat: Is there anyone who needs the "show cursor" option to be FALSE?
This is the default, but it seems like most people want it TRUE (if they
care at all) -- and if lynx isn't compiled for slang or "fancy" curses,
it's always TRUE anyway.  If it is compiled for slang or fancy curses,
then people seem to use -show_cursor (unless lynx.cfg changes SHOW_CURSOR
to TRUE).
(All these options with toggles can get confusing...:)

My reason for bringing it up is that I'm wondering if there's a reason to
 a) throw away the option altogether (just make it TRUE all the time), or
 b) at least set the default to TRUE (if there are people who actually want
    it FALSE, they're in the minority, so why make the default FALSE?).
Dan S has said that he needs the -show_cursor option -- but it's unclear
whether he needs it to turn LYShowCursor on or off.

Also, if it is kept as an option, maybe it should be in the options menu.
Just wondering.
--le

;
;