lynx-dev

Re: LYNX-DEV RMS Titanic

From: Al Gilman
Subject: Re: LYNX-DEV RMS Titanic
Date: Fri, 23 May 1997 15:00:01 -0400 (EDT)

  From: Jason Baker <address@hidden>

  On May 23, E Powell wrote:
  > Hello There,
  >
  >     Your name has been passed on to us as having an interest in the RMS
Titanic.

  Hmm.  Anyone else starting to find these subscriptions a tad suspicious?
  Starting to look to me like somebody is trying to degrade the list by
  subbing it to as many unrelated lists as possible.

  Of course, I could just be paranoid. :)

[Al, here...]

You will see by the archive that I did send a letter of complaint
about this one.

I thought about the malicious-third-party angle, but mostly
rejected it as unlikely.

E Powell is clearly behaving as a bad apple.  No reputable list
manager would accept third-party subscriptions.  The abuse of
lists as mailbombs is too well-known.  And this "respond if you
_don't_ want our junk mail" is the standard spam scam language.

On the other hand, E Powell may be an unwitting bad apple
innocently wanting to join forces with fellow Titanic fans, and
having come into posession of a spamming kit without
understanding that it is based on antisocial procedures.

So I throttled the flame-thrower back a little.

--
Al Gilman

;