lynx-dev

Re: LYNX-DEV project: User Certificate support for Lynx

From: Hiram Lester, Jr.
Subject: Re: LYNX-DEV project: User Certificate support for Lynx
Date: Mon, 9 Jun 1997 20:19:42 -0500 (CDT)

On Mon, 9 Jun 1997, Foteos Macrides wrote:

> address@hidden (Bruce R. Lewis) wrote:
> >Just want to let lynx-dev know that work has started on this project; If
> >you want to give input, speak now.
>
>       The http://web.mit.edu/teamhtml/Athena/FY97/lynx-cert/main/main.html
> writeup is outstanding.  My only concern is that you're planning to use
> the USE_SSL compilation symbol, which is for the built-in https, snews and
> CONNECT support, and gets you back into those legal issues.  Why not use
> a HANDLE_CERTS symbol, so USE_SSL can be reserved for patched in SSL support
> beyond certificate handling, per se?

Wow, Fote is correct.  The draft is very well written and thought out.  If
it IS possible to use this certificate support without SSL, then I think
that should be possible, and that Fote's suggestion about the change in
symbols is a good idea.  (Most of Fote's suggestions are good anyway. ;) )

One thing that you don't make clear in the draft is what branch of the
code you are basing this work upon.  I presume that it is being based upon
2.7.1 with fotemods at some point since Fote's SSL patches are based on
this set.  Keep us posted on progress... :)