lynx-dev

Re: LYNX-DEV multipart/x-mixed-replace;boundary=---boundary--- D)ownloa

From: David Woolley
Subject: Re: LYNX-DEV multipart/x-mixed-replace;boundary=---boundary--- D)ownload, or , C)ancel
Date: Thu, 12 Jun 1997 09:00:39 +0100 (BST)

> Will lynx ever support multipart documents? This is what I get on

As far as I know it has done for a long time, it will just hand them
off to whatever is in the mailcap file.

> www.netmechanic.com, when I do a "forground HTML check"..

multipart/x-mixed-replace
          ^^

This means that this is a private use code for one particular application.
However, realistically, the answer is that internal support for this
document type (only HTML with relative links actually requires internal
support**) will be written if this gimmick (presumably it is there for
simple animation) becomes endemic amongst the sorts of sites that the
people prepared to code for Lynx want to view.  Hopefully, by that time
someone will have written a specification for it, as an RFC, and there will
no longer be an x-.

I haven't yet encountered it even on sites which are extremely Lynx
unfriendly, so I doubt that it is a priority at the moment.

** In any case, what is the base URL, given that the component documents
are anonymous, or at least don't have a name for which a URL standard
exists.  Fragments would be a particular issue:

- would fragment references be forbidden from outside an HTML sub-document;

- alternatively, would they have to be unique across the whole compound
document, in which case, what would be the precise semantics of accessing
a document other than the first.

I strongly suspect that the introducers of this document type didn't consider
such issues, and that they are defined by how their implementation handles
these side effects.
;
;