lynx-dev

Re: Way to define character set when doing newspost? LYNX-DEV

From: Foteos Macrides
Subject: Re: Way to define character set when doing newspost? LYNX-DEV
Date: Thu, 19 Jun 1997 13:20:45 -0500 (EST)

H E Nelson <address@hidden> wrote:
>[...]
>>      Usenet traditionally expects 7-bit, US-ASCII.  For CJK,
>> ISO-2022-JP meets the 7-bit expectation, and contains only US-ASCII
>> characters by virtue of using "escape sequences" with only 7-bit,
>> US-ASCII characters.   EUCs and SJIS are mulitbyte charsets that
>> include 8-bit bytes in their di-byte pairs (Henry really should,
>> after all this time, do some reading about the CJK charsets.).
>
>Did the reading, but "after all this time" forgot!!! :( :(
>
>>      If you're posting to Japanese Usenet groups, and you have a
>> way of calling in ISO-2022-JP for your editor, do that, and add
>
>This is what I figured I needed to do, but as usual am clueless.
>The SunOSs I use really seem to be tied to EUC, and how to get out
>of using it has baffled  me.  Why they have to have 3 or more ways
>of coding the same language is beyond me.
>
>> on your screen, i.e., the conversion of that message to an EUC or
>> SJIS will already have been done, and Lynx presently has no function
>> interposed for doing a back translation to ISO-2022-JP before putting
>> it into the temporary file.  I suppose if such functionallity were
>> added, it should be used after you've finished editing the temporary
>
>This is encouraging since it indicates I'm not completely lost.  Such
>a function would indeed be nice.  I'll bring it up on the Japanese
>browser news group, and see if some programmer doesn't have the time
>and interest to work on it.

        I long ago added Sato functions in SGML.c, cast to K & R and the
Lynx Programming Style, for doing back translations from SJIS and EUC-JP.
I don't know, though, if what's needed for back translations from Chinese
or Korean EUCs is encompassed by that.  If not, the appropriate freeware
code must exist and could be worked in, as was that for the Chinese and
Korean forward translations.  It would be reasonably straightforward to
add back translations in my post_article() for HTNews.c, or better, in
LYNewsPost() of LYNews.c before going back to post_article().  The main
thing is to include the checks for making sure the headers don't have
any misinformation or misleading components, as can happen for email in
the current EXP_CHARTRANS code.

                                Fote