lynx-dev

Re: LYNX-DEV VU#5135 (Lynx vulnerability?) (fwd)

From: Larry W. Virden, x2487
Subject: Re: LYNX-DEV VU#5135 (Lynx vulnerability?) (fwd)
Date: Wed, 25 Jun 1997 08:20:38 -0400

>I know.  That's why I'm suggesting putting "exec" in front of the command
>string passed to system, as a less-hassle alternative: the shell does the
>parsing, but then gets replaced by the first command before it can cause
>any mischief.

This would, of course, cause problems in processing the DOWNLOADER and PRINTER
commands, where in the past recommendations have been made to users to do
things like

#DOWNLOADER:Use Zmodem to download to the local terminal:sz %s:TRUE
#    (example script in lieu of :sz %s: for offering a suggested filename)
#  :set %s %s;td=/tmp/Lsz$$;mkdir $td;ln -s $1 $td/"$2";sz $td/"$2";rm -r $td:

I suspect that a note (similar to the one in the PRINTER section warning
folk of the danger of doing this) should be added to this comment.
;