lynx-dev

Re: LYNX-DEV Alleged Lynx security emergency

From: Larry W. Virden, x2487
Subject: Re: LYNX-DEV Alleged Lynx security emergency
Date: Tue, 1 Jul 1997 08:15:21 -0400

> I assumed that the bug if there is one is in the cp program.

Sorry, but that's not the case.

> What I'd like to know, is why this happens.  Why and how is a
> shell created in the first place?  On the anonymous account I

The only way to have a fairly certain chance of getting the helper applications
to run for downloading, printing, uploading (are there some other places
folk?) is to feed the lynx.cfg defined strings to a command like
system().  Once that is done, any security hole that might be possible
from these commands now applies to the lynx environment.

However, the problem that was reported from CERT is that one could
access such a security hole from the G)oto subcommand within lynx.
For whatever reason, one could type something like
LYNXDOWNLOAD://Method=-1/File=;/bin/sh;/SugFile=/dev/stdin,

to goto as a URL and lynx would process it .
;