lynx-dev

Re: LYNX-DEV Re: lynx271ssleay.uue

From: Foteos Macrides
Subject: Re: LYNX-DEV Re: lynx271ssleay.uue
Date: Mon, 07 Jul 1997 11:54:14 -0500 (EST)

address@hidden wrote:
>On Thu, 3 Jul 1997, Foteos Macrides wrote:
>
>> Wes Price <address@hidden> wrote to me instead of lynx-dev:
>> >Thanks for the SSL patches.  Is there some centralized place I should have
>> >gone to find out that SSLeay 0.8 wouldn't work?
>>
>>      The SSL patch update I send out yesterday will work with the
>> v0.8.0 library if you fix it up.  A dangling #endif should be removed
>> in crypto.c, the build procedure for it should be checked to be sure
>> it incorporates all of the new crypto.c sublists (you'll get unresolved
>> global errors on linking Lynx otherwise, 'cuz those won't have been
>> compiled and incorporated into the library), and delete #include pxy_ssl.c
>> from ssl.c.  On VMS with MULTINET, bss_sock.c needs tweaking to use it's
>> socket library functions (define read, write, and close to socket_read,
>> socket_write, and socket_close).  On VMS with DECC, read_pwd.c needs to
>> include <starlet.h>.  Alternatively, wait for v0.8.1 and use a v0.6.n
>> library.  Yesterday's SSL patch update will use the correct code for a
>> pre-v0.8.0 library automatically.
>
>One note - only certain builds of 0.8.0 won't work.  Linux worked fine for
>static libraries.  For shared libraries (linux or bsd) you have to fix
>crypto.c and ssl.c as above.  0.8.1 should correct the above problems so
>it is probably best to wait for it.  OTOH, Lynx is built for so many
>platforms that it will expose more bugs and portability problems than most
>other software, so you may want to try SSLeay 0.8.0 just to see if it will
>compile correctly on your system if it isn't one that is already known
>about, or there may be an 0.8.2.

        Note also that the latest SSL patch has certificate handling calls
like those in Tom's daemon, but it's based on coaching from Tom, and I
haven't used it seriously myself.  Also, Lynx still needs a user interface
for handling certificates, along the lines being worked on in the Athena
project at MIT.  Hopefully, once they do that, we can figure out a way
to use it with Tom's daemon, so the Lynx distribution, itself, will not
be hampered at all by those US Export Laws.

                                Fote