lynx-dev

Re: LYNX-DEV What is the difference?

From: T.E.Dickey
Subject: Re: LYNX-DEV What is the difference?
Date: Fri, 11 Jul 1997 05:48:31 -0400 (EDT)

> being new to Lynx, I am a bit confused with the 3 versions, normal.
> curses & slang; can somebody tell me what is the difference between them?
It's in the top-level files (readme/configure stuff).  Briefly (again ;-),

        normal
                is whatever is installed as "curses"; usually this is the
                vendor's curses if you're building on something like Solaris,
                it may be bsd 4.4 curses if you're installing on Linux.
                This is the default for the configure script, since "curses"
                is the standard name for the screen package.

        ncurses
                is a clone of SVr4 (e.g., Solaris) curses.  There's an option
                to configure by that name since it may not be installed as
                "curses".  SVr4 curses is basically the standard on platforms
                that you buy, rather than build.

        slang
                is a screen package that (for our purposes) emulates bits &
                pieces of bsd curses with parts borrowed from some flavors
                of System V curses.  (There's some advantages in it, but
                since it does not follow any standard, it's best classified
                as experimental).

The current version of ncurses is 4.1
There's an faq at
        http://www.clark.net/pub/dickey/ncurses/ncurses.faq.html