lynx-dev

Re: LYNX-DEV What is the difference?

From: Jason F. McBrayer
Subject: Re: LYNX-DEV What is the difference?
Date: 12 Jul 1997 07:54:03 -0600

JED>  It [OS/2 slang] uses VIO.  See slang/src/slvideo.c for the actual code.

JED>  So, it sounds like you want something that sends escape sequences to
JED> the display rather than making VIO calls.  But you do not want to
JED> distribute terminfo files.

Precisely.  Also, ncurses does not automagically resize the display to
match the screen size.

JED> The good news is that you can do this with
JED> slang since slang knows about xterm and vt100 and falls back on this
JED> knowledge if it cannot find terminfo files.

Ah.  I hadn't realized slang also used terminfo. Xterm and vt100
unfortunately don't work with an OS/2 VIO window, either.  I've just
found out that ncurses can be compiled with fallback database entries.
So perhaps I will just try rebuilding ncurses, since color works with
ncurses in the development code, and ncurses is what I've been using
all along.  I don't know what to do with the issue of automatic
resizing.  Oh well.  I suppose I will just do what I have been doing
and tell users to edit their terminfo files if they want to use a
larger window size.