lynx-dev

Re: LYNX-DEV Porting Lynx

From: Foteos Macrides
Subject: Re: LYNX-DEV Porting Lynx
Date: Tue, 15 Jul 1997 16:23:17 -0500 (EST)

address@hidden wrote:
>On Sun, 13 Jul 1997, Justin Rowe wrote:
>

>> I'm trying to port Lynx 2.7.2 with SSL support to BeOS. I've downloaded
>> the Linux source from shadow.cabi.net and I'm assuming that this code has
>> hooks for SSL implementation, and that I need SSLeay as well. Can anyone
>> confirm this? What version of SSLeay should i use? (v 0.6.6 or v 0.8.0)
>
>You need either the patches from Fote Macrides (email him) for SSL support
>internal, or my proxy which is at ftp.replay.com/pub/crypto/SSLapps, as
>either lxprox.c, eassl or edssl (in order of increasing functionality).
>
>These use SSLeay 0.6.6, but I have a new version for 0.8.0 available if
>you state you are a US (or canadian) citizen in the us and promise not to
>export the code, similar to what Fote requires.

        Just to avoid any possible confusion about this, the
lynx271ssleay.uue patch set for built-in SSL hooks that I email
to people who request it and include *explicit* statements for
*all* of the following:

                (1) You are a US or Canadian citizen.
                (2) You will not violate and US Export Laws.
                (3) You will not violoate any RSA patents.

checks for the version of SSLeay you have available and will use the
appropriate code.  I'm personally using it with SSLeay 0.8.0, but
that version does not build reliably for all flavors.  If you build
it successfully, you can use it.  Otherwise, if you don't have the
skills for tweaking it to build successfully, get 0.6.6 and use that.

        I had been putting people on an "update list" in conjunction with
send them the patch set if they requested it in a manner which meets the
above requirements, but have been getting complaints that I'm sending
the patches repetitititivly.  So, from this point on, if you want to be
on the update list, include an *explicit* statement that:

                (4) You want to be on the update list.

If anyone presently on that list wants to be removed, please let me
know.

                                Fote