lynx-dev

Re: LYNX-DEV javascript URLs

From: David Woolley
Subject: Re: LYNX-DEV javascript URLs
Date: Sat, 19 Jul 1997 15:25:21 +0100 (BST)

> I'm still planning on implementing a subset of JS in lynx as my
> MS project.  The good news is that I've had large chunks of time
> suddenly open up, so the lexer is just about done (this is the

If you do this, please give some thought to minimising the impact on the
core code.  The things that need to be possible are for Javascript
support to be excluded with a minimal impact on the size, and for, say,
VBScript, to be added with no further changes to the core code.  I think
this is the approach that Microsoft are taking (DLLs which understand the
languages and a browser core which just about knows when to invoke the
DLLs).

I don't want to see Lynx go the way of MSIE, where you need a very powerful
machine to run it at all and it can take 30 seconds to a minute to start up.

I suspect that you may have to do a lot of rework on the internals of Lynx,
to make it fit the Java/VBScript object model.
;
;