lynx-dev

LYNX-DEV Re: extended "show color" choice

From: Hiram Lester, Jr.
Subject: LYNX-DEV Re: extended "show color" choice
Date: Thu, 24 Jul 1997 15:17:03 -0500 (CDT)

On Thu, 24 Jul 1997, Klaus Weide wrote:

> Generating the initial choice (when the 'O'ptions Screen is shown for
> the first time, before a user presses '&') is tricky, because that
> determines what gets written to .lynxrc if the user saves without
> bothering to change or even look at the "show color" field.  I set it
> to just plain "OFF" or "ON" if no "show_color:" line was in .lynxrc
> before; to "Always OFF" or "Always ON" if such a line was found AND
> the preference given by it is still in effect; and to plain "OFF" or
> "ON" if a "show_color:" line was present but was overriden by a
> command line flag.  This should prevent accidentally saving a
> show_color preference in all cases if it wasn't already there, and
> also should prevent accidentally "losing" a preference when saving
> with '>' under normal circumstances.

I'm sure that somewhere in this paragraph, you address my initial reaction
to this idea, but it's just not clicking.

What happens in the case that someone sets "Always ON" or "Always OFF" and
then saves it in the .lynxrc.  They later change their mind and want "ON"
or "OFF".  Since these are NOT saved in the .lynxrc, will they be able to
ever undo the previous setting without editing .lynxrc and manually
removing that line?