lynx-dev

Re: LYNX-DEV lynx-386 Raw 8-bit option not saved

From: Hynek Med
Subject: Re: LYNX-DEV lynx-386 Raw 8-bit option not saved
Date: Thu, 7 Aug 1997 18:43:22 +0200 (MET DST)

On Wed, 6 Aug 1997, Eric Berenguier wrote:

> Hello,
>
> I'm using lynx-386, and it seems i can't save the value of "Raw 8-bit or
> CJK m(O)de" in option menu.
> More precisely, i want to display greek pages (ISO-8859-7 encoded) with
> ISO-8859-7 fonts (from isocp101 package).
> I don't use standard dos greek codepage because they are not supported by
> lynx.

BTW, would you (or someone else) try to make the tables for greek MS-DOS
codepages?

> My setup to do this is:
> display (C)haracter set   : ISO 8859-7 greek
> Raw 8-bit or CJK m(O)de   : ON
>
> The problem is when i start lynx, raw 8bit option is always off, even
> if i had set it to on and saved it before.
> I've found no way to change this in lynx.cfg or lynx.rc file.

It is true, raw mode setting isn't saveable. But there's another
possibility to make your documents display right:

The document probably is in ISO-8859-7, but isn't marked so
(Content-type=text/html; charset=ISO-8859-8 HTTP header or the
corresponding META tag). So you could rather use the '-assume_charset
ISO-8859-7' command line option, or change the assumed charset in your
lynx.cfg. (Otherwise lynx treats the document as ISO-8859-1.) It is all
documented in README.chartrans and in the comments in lynx.cfg options
related to international character sets support..

Hynek

--
Hynek Med, address@hidden

;