lynx-dev

Re: LYNX-DEV ftp daemon on sol.slcc.edu

From: Scott McGee (Personal)
Subject: Re: LYNX-DEV ftp daemon on sol.slcc.edu
Date: Mon, 11 Aug 1997 01:19:04 -0600

To: address@hidden

 Jean-Pierre Radley <address@hidden> asks:

>Could sol.slcc.edu install an ftp daemon which DOES allow for resuming
>interrupted transfers?

Perhaps I should say a few words about Lynx and Lynx Dev activities on
sol.slcc.edu. As most of you know, I am system administrator here for the
machine, and I have allowed both Fote and the Devel team access to the
system for Lynx development and testing. As such, it has also become the
central source for up-to-date or developmental (experimental) Lynx Source.

The machine is primarily the College's main web server. It supports a number
of other functions, but only as side issues. Lynx Dev activities fall in this
catagory. Lynx support is a valid method of providing access for the visually
impaired. Lynx Dev is a considerable extension of that, and only possible
as long as it does not impact the primary function of the system.

Right now, there are no problems with impact, but I do want to make it
clear to the Lynx community that I can only provide this service as a
side issue, and that it can NOT drive the system configuration in any way.

Now, about restartable FTP. I hope to get wsftp installed as some time in
the not to far future. The time table for this is entirely driven by things
outside of Lynx and Lynx dev, and can not be changed. I don't even know for
sure that wuftp will support restartable connections, but if so, you'll get
it, but only when it happens for other reasons. Sorry, but that is the only
way I can justify supporting Lynx Dev work here. I hope that is reasonable.

I hope I don't sound critical of Jean-Pierre's suggestion, because I feel
it to be an entirely reasonable one, but I did feel a need to point out why
I won't and can't act on it. The change may happen, but not for this reason.

Scott

Scott McGee: Salt Lake Community College Webmaster | When in danger,