lynx-dev

Re: LYNX-DEV Getting a site to recognize Lynx's frame capabilities

From: Foteos Macrides
Subject: Re: LYNX-DEV Getting a site to recognize Lynx's frame capabilities
Date: Mon, 25 Aug 1997 12:11:15 -0500 (EST)

"Brian Tillman, x8425" <address@hidden> wrote:
>Last week, I connected to http://www.bbd.com/ and found it telling me that my
>browser does not support frames, even though I had configured the user agent
>string to indicate that frames were supported (i.e., I pretended to be
>Mozilla).  Lynx presented the FRAME: links for me to choose, in spite of the
>message.  I informed the Webmaster there that my browser _did_ support frames,
>even though their page said it did not.  I received a very nice reply from
>that person stating that they would certainly look into it and correct the
>test.
>
>I really appreciate Webmasters who are responsive to their audiences.

        Well, this is an extension of the LYNX_NAME/LYNX_VERSION ...
issue, so we may as well spell out the rest of that.

        The ability to change, the User-Agent string via the 'o'ptions
menu, albeit temporarily (without ability to make it permanent via a
"save to RC file"), is technically in the same category as changing the
LYNX_NAME definition to "Mozilla" for compilations, but in the view the
then "currently active developer" who was responsible for that (i.e.,
"Fote", whoever that actually is :), he or she would easily get help
from the ACLU should a law suit develop from it.  The copyright issue
is explained in the Users Guide, a statusline warning is issued if
you change it to a string which does not include "Lynx" (case
insensitve), and it is temporary --  solely for checking whether a
provider is discriminating against Lynx users inappropriately, so
that you can contact that provider and try to correct that problem
on behalf of the Lynx User Community.  Taking the trouble to do that
is one way Lynx users can repay the favor of making Lynx available to
them, free of charge.  Not accepting that "trouble", and instead compiling
Lynx with LYNX_NAME changed to "Mozilla", is abusing that favor, IMHO.

                                Fote