lynx-dev

LYNX-DEV Contents of <TITLE> tag at top of printed page

From: J. Kevin Ternes
Subject: LYNX-DEV Contents of <TITLE> tag at top of printed page
Date: Thu, 28 Aug 1997 08:40:19 +22324924 (EDT)

Klaus Weide wrote:

>On Thu, 21 Aug 1997, Kevin Ternes wrote:
> > There is a requirement where I work to have the contents of the <TITLE>
> > tag displayed at the top of each printed page the way that Netscape
> > does.
> >

> I suggest doing this outside of lynx, with a small shell script, perl
> script, C program or whatever you like.  That could split up Lynx's
> output into pages (according to your printer's page length) and insert a
> Title line for each page.  Or maybe even your lpr (or equivalent) can do
> this for you.  Add or change the PRINTER: definition in lynx.cfg to use
> your external command.
>
> The only change required in the Lynx code then would be to make it pass
> the title to your command.  The simplest way to do this probably would be
> to putenv() an environment variable (LYNX_PRINT_TITLE or whatever) before
> the relevant `system(buffer);' command under `case PRINTER:', and make
> your command use that variable.  The title as seen by Lynx should be
> available through HText_getTitle() or HTLoadedDocumentTitle() any time in
> printfile() after the HTLoadAbsolute(&WWWDoc) near the top.

Excellent!  This worked great.  I only modified LYPrint.c
by inserting the following two code fragments into printfile():

   char *envbuffer = NULL;       /* WebSter Print Mods -jkt */
in the declaration area, and

   /* Begin WebSter Print Mods - jkt */
   StrAllocCat(envbuffer, "LYNX_PRINT_TITLE=");
   if (HText_getTitle())
       StrAllocCat(envbuffer, HText_getTitle());
   else
       StrAllocCat(envbuffer, NULL);
   putenv(envbuffer);
   /* End   WebSter Print Mods - jkt */
between the printf(PRINTING_FILE) and fflush(stdout) calls.

As for the external script, it's just a shell script that makes
sure that all of its parameters make sence, then executes
pr -h "$LYNX_PRINT_TITLE" | lp -d $PRINTDEST

Actually, pr is kinda lacking in options.  I'm still looking
for some better formatter.  I'll let you know.

Thanks Klaus!

-jkt

;
;