lynx-dev

Re: LYNX-DEV reply to Leonid

From: Андрей Чернов
Subject: Re: LYNX-DEV reply to Leonid
Date: Fri, 29 Aug 1997 04:35:22 +0400 (MSD)

On Thu, 28 Aug 1997, Klaus Weide wrote:

> In the meantime, my reply (plus duplication) can be read at

- We could translate titles (to always the same charset) before writing to
  the bookmark file.  To be general enough, such a target charset for
  bookmark file translation would have to be one that could encode all
  the characters from the various possible source charsets.  That means
  it should be Unicode/UTF-8.  Nice idea, but then the bookmark files
  couldn't be handled correctly by any other tools (editors etc.) that
  are not UTF-8 capable.  It also wouldn't work currently for CJK

You not forced to store bookmark file in real UTF-8 in this case, just
leave first 265 chars as is (iso-8859-1) and use numeric form &#XXXX; for
all other Unicode characters.  In this way the file remains editable, see
http://www.nagual.pp.ru/~ache/utf-8.koi8-r.html source for example.

--
Andrey A. Chernov
<address@hidden>