lynx-dev

Re: LYNX-DEV Lynx and secure channel, is that a reality?

From: David Woolley
Subject: Re: LYNX-DEV Lynx and secure channel, is that a reality?
Date: Thu, 4 Sep 1997 07:43:34 +0100 (BST)

> Internet machines, doesn't suport https protocol. So the idea of having
> all the ISPs to recompile their Lynx browsers seems rather fantastic and
> unreal.

If they are running Lynx over a telnet session, that telnet session is
probably the weakest link anyway.  My guess is that the retail ISP and
the people accepting the credit card payments are the most likely
to abuse the information.

The other thing you have to consider is what the real risks are; to
some extent this issue is being hyped by people who want to sell secure
browsers and servers, and can do it easily because they are selling
binaries, so can meet the RSA royalty and export restrictions easily.
;
;