lynx-dev

Re: LYNX-DEV Patch for development version 0.58

From: David Woolley
Subject: Re: LYNX-DEV Patch for development version 0.58
Date: Fri, 5 Sep 1997 23:00:51 +0100 (BST)

> the character definitions.  Are there browsers that switch the direction
> of reading according to the individual character being read, within a
> page written in one charset?

I would say any browser that claims to support a bidirectional character
set should do this (on the principle that HTML is a logical markup language
and physical aspects are for the browser).  However, I can't see it being
high on the priority list for developers (although it does seem true than
NS and MS are extending their markets as much geographically as by increased
capability now).  You can also almost certainly assume that the average site
manager, in this plug and play era, doesn't know how to make his site give
out the correct character set designation, anyway (there seem to be enough
problems with undeclared KOI8 being reported, and many sites send CP 1252
but declare it as ISO 8859/1).

I'd say this is likely to be an area which remains a mess for a long time.
;
;