lynx-dev

Re: LYNX-DEV Hebrew/Arabic Bidirectional issues with lynx

From: Foteos Macrides
Subject: Re: LYNX-DEV Hebrew/Arabic Bidirectional issues with lynx
Date: Mon, 08 Sep 1997 20:47:08 -0500 (EST)

David Woolley <address@hidden> wrote:
>Foteos wrote:
>> particularly because essentially all of RFC 2070 has been incorporated
>> into the W3C's so-called HTML 4.0, and since Netscape and MSIE have de
>
>> iso-8859-1 as of RFC 2070 and so-called HTML 4.0 :).  The page has
>> 8-bit/multibyte characters only as link names, none as attribute values,
>> and no fancy BIDI markup, so in theory with the Lynx chartrans support
>
>My copy of HTML 4.0 is in the office, so I'm not sure what line you are
>taking here.  Are you saying that Microsoft and Netscape are forcing a
>physical markup solution to bidirectional texts, in which case, maybe
>it is time to take the wheel full circle and invent a simple logical
>markup language for distributed hypertext, which lacks the complexity
>of current proprietory word processing formats.
>[...]

        No, I'm saying that RFC 2070 has been available via the Lynx
online 'h'elp (under the "HTML i18n" link) through several formal Lynx
releases, and the HTML 4.0 draft became available in both the fotemods
and devel online 'h'elp (as the "HTML 4.0" link) within days of the
W3C making it public.  Both describe procedures for trying to deal
with the hodge podge on the Web created by people who sought to
"invent a simple logical markup language for distributed hypertext",
so if you haven't read them yet, or didn't concentrate on what they
say about charset handling, and don't have access to them because
they're in the office, why not wait until you can read and consider
them, and perhaps avoid suggesting yet another "contribution" to
the hodge podge.   For some regulars on this list, it wouldn't matter
if they read them, because they wouldn't understand them anyway, but
*I suspect* that is not the case for you.

                                Fote