lynx-dev

Re: LYNX-DEV securing Lynx for boxed-in environments.

From: T.E.Dickey
Subject: Re: LYNX-DEV securing Lynx for boxed-in environments.
Date: Sat, 13 Sep 1997 14:37:35 -0400 (EDT)

> So, I figure I should just go into the code, and replace all exec
> family calls, all system calls, and all calls to popen with my
> modified versions that restrict what execution paths are permitted --
> I can box a user in to code I'm moderately certain is secure, by
> providing one directory that they're allowed to call programs from,
> which has rigorously tested code).
> Is there interest in this kind of thing, or am I on my own here?
sounds fine (in general) to me.  If it's well-confined, it could be made
a configure option.  The existing code has too many ifdef's that make
differences between VMS/Unix/MS-DOS visible - I'd like to see that change
(particularly since most of it is unnecessary complexity).

--
Thomas E. Dickey
address@hidden