lynx-dev

Re: LYNX-DEV How to work around special characters?

From: Klaus Weide
Subject: Re: LYNX-DEV How to work around special characters?
Date: Wed, 17 Sep 1997 19:28:16 -0500 (CDT)

On Wed, 17 Sep 1997, Philip Webb wrote:

> 970917 Fote wrote:
> > This is an FAQ regulars like Philip Webb should be able to answer correctly
> > by now.
>
> predictable response from sender, BUT i searched thro' the on-line Lynx h)elp
> & could find no reference to the  %  escaping device;
> there's one item buried at the bottom of Al's Picks, but it's incomplete.
> the other reply today is very good (Chris Maden? i'm in edit mode)
> & should be put into the regular FAQ (which seems to lack a lot of links BTW).
>
> we all know Fote knows everything,
> but those of us still learning have to be able to find the answer somewhere

Philip:

You want a better FAQ, you write one.  Simple as that.

Or make at least some _constructive_ contributions.

I do not regard your complaints, your "Why doesn't Lynx do ..." without
apparently having checked what the recent code does, your presumptions to
speak for others (as in "we all" this or that), or your smartass remarks
as constructive.

You are answering some newbie questions.  That's good.  Please put some
more effort in giving right and useful answers, though.  What's the point
of a reply like:

> goto  lynx.browser.org , which has links to sites with binaries.
> i haven't checked, but there is probably one for VAX: latest Lynx is 2-7-1.
> come back here for help with any difficulties.

? when there is no link to a site with VAX binaries there, as you could
have easily checked?

As for the specific question which started this thread ('+' in a lynxexec
URL), I didn't know the answer to that one myself.  Philip, there _is_
room for you to write a FAQ document if you think the existing resources
are not adequate.

   Klaus

;
;