lynx-dev

Re: LYNX-DEV http://lynx.browser.org/ i-comm

From: Jim Dennis
Subject: Re: LYNX-DEV http://lynx.browser.org/ i-comm
Date: Wed, 17 Sep 1997 17:44:51 -0700

> Hello... I resently dl a copy of a program called i-comm... It says in
> shell i can run it on my local cpu and use lynx to view graphics is this
> true? I could send the docs if you wish...
> Please Help
> Overkill

        There was also a program called "Slipknot" that did
        the same basic thing.

        There's what these programs do:

                They install some shell scripts into your home
                directory on your ISP's system.

                You configure your system's client software with
                the details for your account.

                These then dial your ISP and use the shell scripts
                and various Lynx and other Unix commands to
                force the shell account to act as a gateway between
                your client software and the web.

                These clients then transfer the results (files) of
                the various lynx and other commands to your system,
                parsing the resulting HTML to find image and
                similar references, and using commands (mostly more
                lynx -dump commands) to fetch those binaries.

                Finally these clients are able to render the web
                pages with the inline graphics.

        I played with Slipknot.  It worked as expected.  They are
        O.K. if you absolutely cannot get a PPP or SLIP account and
        you absolutely must see GUI web pages.  Other than that I
        just Lynx directly (over my PPP account at home, and via
        the various T1, T3  and other high speed links at various
        client sites -- and soon over my ISDN links as well).

        So, what was the point of your message?  I-comm and Slipknot
        have their own manuals and their own support facilities.
        They are using lynx -dump for most of their work.  However,
        as I've pointed out, they only use Lynx as a gateway utility.

        So, very likely, any problem you're having is with these
        utilities themselves.  Log into your shell account.  Run
        Lynx.  Does everything work?  Yes, call I-comm or Slipknot.
        No, ask us about anything that doesn't seem to work.

--
Jim Dennis  (800) 938-4078              address@hidden
Proprietor, Starshine Technical Services:  http://www.starshine.org