lynx-dev

LYNX-DEV HTFTP.c and PASV v PORT (was: source size, source reorganizatio

From: David Woolley
Subject: LYNX-DEV HTFTP.c and PASV v PORT (was: source size, source reorganization)
Date: Sat, 20 Sep 1997 13:44:38 +0100 (BST)

> of configuring for their system before compiling Lynx?  What are
> the situations where PASV FTP code is necessary?

PS.  The final version of the CERN version of HTFTP.c uses an adaptive
strategy in which it attempts PASV and falls back to the conventional
mode, unless the fallback is suppressed by undefining a LISTEN compile
time variable.

DIffing the two shows that they diverged somewhere between March 93 and
April 94 - there is no change history in the Lynx branch.  The first change
in the CERN branch is:

+**     27 Apr 94 (HF)  The module is basically rewritten to conform with
+**                     rfc 959, 1123 and 1579 and turned into a state
+**                     machine. New semantics of ftp URLs are supported.

which essentially makes the rest of the diff unuseable and would mean
any merging of the development branches would require detailed examination
and it is not a feature that is causing me problems.  I suspect it might make
a good student project, as the job should be reasonably self contained.

;
;