lynx-dev

Re: LYNX-DEV problem with traversal mode

From: Foteos Macrides
Subject: Re: LYNX-DEV problem with traversal mode
Date: Mon, 22 Sep 1997 15:03:40 -0500 (EST)

Lars Eilebrecht <address@hidden> wrote:
>I experimented with the -traversal rsp. -crawl mode of Lynx,
>because I want to use it as a link checker for our site, eg.
>to generate reports about files that where not found for our
>web authors.
>But there is a problem when Lynx sees a 401 authorization message,
>because the traversal is stopped and Lynx prompts the user for
>the credentials.
>IMHO Lynx should simply log the 401 message if -traversal or -crawl
>is used. I think HTTP.c of the www-library can be modified to ensure
>it, but I only took a quick look at the sources...

        You don't indicate what version of Lynx you are using, but if
it's recent, you can enter the authorization to include the resource,
or RETURN (void entry at the prompt) to skip it.

        You similiarly may be prompted about cookies, which you can
accecpt or reject, and that may affect what the server returns.

                                Fote