lynx-dev

Re: LYNX-DEV A little Lynx/2 help needed

From: Jason F. McBrayer
Subject: Re: LYNX-DEV A little Lynx/2 help needed
Date: 28 Sep 1997 12:26:07 -0600

BL> Don Woodall wrote:
>> I have just recently acquired Lynx/2 and am trying to get it running.
>> The archive file I downloaded was "os2lynx271r1.zip."

BL> The original author of Lynx/2 refused to share any of his code or
BL> thoughts with Lynx-Dev, so nobody here knows much of anything about the
BL> port.  (I assume the above address is the current author, who may or may
BL> not be the original one.)

A misconception.  Though Don says he's using Lynx/2, he's actually
using OS/2 Lynx 2-7-1.  That's my version, which is a straight port of
the Unix/VMS source.  The archive referred to is available from
http://studentweb.tulane.edu/~jmcbray/lynx/, and also from popular
OS/2 ftp sites such as hobbes.nmsu.edu.  It contains context diffs
from the vanilla Lynx 2-7-1 code as well as OS/2 binaries.  It
_doesn't_ contain any of Derek Decker's Lynx/2 code, which he won't
release to me, either (though he's never been anything but polite
about it).

OS/2'ers have a nasty habit of appending a "/2" to the end of any
cross-platform product's name to refer to the OS/2 version.  I
encourage OS/2 Lynx users to NOT refer to it as Lynx/2, so as to avoid
confusion with Derek Decker's rogue Lynx 2.4.1 port.

--
Jason F. address@hidden
I hope  we shall ...  crush  in its birth  the  aristocracy of our moneyed

;