Re: LYNX-DEV When release (was: BUG? Problem with suggested name)

From: Doug Kaufman
Subject: Re: LYNX-DEV When release (was: BUG? Problem with suggested name)
Date: Mon, 29 Sep 1997 20:17:02 -0700 (PDT)

On Mon, 29 Sep 1997, Wayne Buttles wrote:

> > > As for documentation, I encourage everyone to help with what Henry started
> > > (the INSTALLATION rewrite - don't let that topic die!), and testers of the
> There are a couple other people ahead of me in compiling the dos version.
> Maybe they could help polish the DOS section of INSTALLATION.

Here is a rough draft of DOS installation instructions.  If we are going
to do this for a release version, we probably need to put a makefile.dos
in the src/chrtrans directory.

Compiling for DOS with DJGPP is a multistep procedure.

DJGPP, as distributed from the usual DJGPP archives, will not
successfully compile lynx.  You need to "stubedit" your "cc1.exe" file.
The following parameters have worked successfully: stack=800k, buffer=64k
(see "";).

After unpacking the source code, make sure that the directory under
lynx_help is "keystrok" and not "".

If you wish to compile with "USE_ZLIB" (recommended), you must have the
zlib library compiled.  Get the zlib source from
"";, and compile.  Put libz.a in
the lib subdirectory  of DJGPP and pub zlib.h in the include

In addition to the files in the lynx distribution, you will need a
curses package and a TCP package.  You can use PDCurses (available at
"";) and the DJGPP port of WATTCP
(available in two different versions at
""; and at
These need to be compiled before you go any further. If you wish to
use the beta version of PDCurses 2.3, you need to first apply a patch
(available at

Move to the "lynx2-7-/WWW/Library/djgpp" directory and do "make". This
should compile libwww.a.

Next move to the "lynx2-7-/src/chrtrans" directory. No DOS makefile is
currently in the distribution archive. Patch the Makefile to include the
MCFLAGS from the "lynx2-7-/src/makefile.dos" file, adding an extra "../"
where necessary. Then do "make tables".

Then move to the "lynx2-7-/src" directory and do "make -f makefile.dos".
If all goes well, you will have a lynx.exe file.

You probably want to test lynx now, but lynx_386 won't work without a
packet-driver installed.  For testing purposes, you can use  It is available in the  CRYNWR package (available at
Usage is "slip8250 0x60". For connecting over a dialup PPP
connection you need a package such as dosppp or klos' pppshare
(available at
""; and

See ""; for more hints and some
precompiled libraries.