lynx-dev

LYNX-DEV problem w/ files with "~"/"%7E" in their names

From: Eduardo Ochs
Subject: LYNX-DEV problem w/ files with "~"/"%7E" in their names
Date: Sat, 4 Oct 1997 20:02:48 -0300

  Hi,

  Does anyone have a patch to make lynx more compatible with wget, or
with some other program that makes local copies of directories in
remote machines? The problem is that if I have a file with a name like

  /wget/http/www.dnai.com/~jfox/color4th.html

and I try to access it, lynx just says "Alert!: Unable to access document."
So I recompiled lynx modifying LYSanctify() (in LYGetFile.c) to make
it return its argument (the name of an URL) unchanged, and now it is
able to access that kind of file, but not files with names like

  /wget/http/www.dnai.com/%7Ejfox/cm-misc.html

...that the unpatched version can't read!

What's happenning? Where is it documented? What would be necessary to
make lynx first try to access the local copy of a file, then the
remote version?

  Best regards to all,
                      Eduardo Ochs
                      address@hidden