lynx-dev

LYNX-DEV "Assume charset", KOI8-R (was Re: chartrans)

From: Klaus Weide
Subject: LYNX-DEV "Assume charset", KOI8-R (was Re: chartrans)
Date: Sun, 5 Oct 1997 15:46:06 -0500 (CDT)

On Fri, 3 Oct 1997, Leonid Pauzner wrote:

> > > Is it possible to add ASSUME_CHARSET to O)ptions screen
> > > since changing lynx.cfg may be restricted by sysadmin
> > > and command line flags not very convenient
> > > (especially if you want to change default during the lynx session) ?
> >
> > It is possible and probably desirable, but I probably won't do it now for
> > the old reason: overcrowding of O)ptions screen...  If/when we do to a
> > FORM-based Options screen, OR someone integrates the FORM-based solution
>

> I think one more line in O)ptions still exists...

Well I squeezed it it, but now there may not be any blank line between the
last line with a field (user (A)gent) and the fixed "Select capital
letter..." instruction line.  I am not sure that I like it or that it does
the right thing.  It is only available in "Advanced" user mode.
Actually the Options Screen isn't only running out of space, but it is
also running out of L)etters.  I use ^A for "^A)ssume charset if unknown",
it seemed better than yet another non-Ctrl key that doesn't have any
obvious connection with the name of the field it selects.

[...]
> I mean there is an obvious bug in certain chartrans table.
> I check "=" for each document above and see:
> charset=windows-1251
> charset=windows-1251 (assumed)    [for \ source], and that's OK
> charset=koi8-r
> charset=koi8-r (assumed)       [for \ source]  but that is wrong:
>                         the real "7bit approx" appears on the screen
> instead!!!

Ok, it was something else than I thought...  I have changed it, it should
be in the next update which should be 2.7.1ac-0.76.

Now I guess you have to find someone to compile this for you for 386...

   Klaus

;
;