lynx-dev

Re: LYNX-DEV news: handling

From: Larry W. Virden, x2487
Subject: Re: LYNX-DEV news: handling
Date: Fri, 17 Oct 1997 07:23:13 -0400

From: David Woolley <address@hidden>
> Note to the Lynx implementors: on nearly every server, retrieve by message-ID
> is more expensive than retrieve by article number.  Having recently verified
> a posting to the microsoft hierarchy by telnetting to msnews, I suspect that
> the Microsoft implemenation may linear search the history file (message-ID
> database).

Is there a standard, or even common practice somewhere that implements
retrieve by article number?  If so, exactly what notation does it use?
And where is it useful?  Could you spell out what it is you are envisioning?
With more detail, perhaps some student here on this list, in search of
a fall project, might byte off implementing the feature you are describing.
;