lynx-dev

LYNX-DEV fotemods chartrans & SSL

From: Foteos Macrides
Subject: LYNX-DEV fotemods chartrans & SSL
Date: Tue, 21 Oct 1997 15:10:51 -0500 (EST)

        I don't know how many people are still using the fotemods, but
presumeably those on my SSL hooks distribution list are, at least when
using Lynx for secure transactions, and this message is for them.

        Please update and exercize the chartrans stuff in the fotemods.
I have that stuff basically debugged, at least to the extent I can test
it, but the underlying code is still too hairy and uninterpetable by
anyone who wasn't heavily involved in writing it.  I've added a lot of
comments, but plan to attempt more simplifications once I have more
reason to feel confident that the outright bugs are squashed as the
code stands now.

        Note also that I don't plan to use the devel code, or whatever
version that becomes, seriously myself, and thus will not be generating
SSL hooks for that code set (anyone who has the hook code and wants to
do that should feel free to do so).  The fotemods.zip is now essentially
the size of the vanilla lynx2-7-1.zip, so what I'll probably do is
create a lynx271f.zip which breaks out to a lynx271f directory tree,
and key lynx271ssleay.zip to that.

        As far at the Netscape patent on SSL goes, I'm not personally
worried about that.  I'm still not clear on whether that precludes
using the SSLeay libraries in the US, but if that turns out to be the
case, Lou is now a big honcho at Netscape, I don't thing Netscape
patented it out of concern about clients such as Lynx, and so I'm
optimistic about working out some special arrangement for Lynx, if
needed.

                                Fote