lynx-dev

Re: more on INSTALLATION [was Re: LYNX-DEV Thanks! DOS Compile works no

From: Nelson Henry Eric
Subject: Re: more on INSTALLATION [was Re: LYNX-DEV Thanks! DOS Compile works now]
Date: Wed, 29 Oct 1997 09:52:05 +0900 (JST)

Can't make everyone happy, but I think the following does establish
what programs are preferred, is thorough in its treatment of pkunzip,
and tells what to do, and what not to do, under Windows.  Hope it's
"good enough for gov't work" (for oldtimers like me who know that phrase).

    Unpack the source code using a DOS program like UNZIP386.  If you are
    using PKUNZIP to unpack the .zip archive, you must use the -d command
    line switch to restore the directory structure contained in the archive,
    i.e., do "pkunzip -d lynx-cur.zip".  No switch is required if you use
    unzip386 or unzip.  If you are trying to compile the 386DOS port under a
    Win95/NT DOS shell, be sure to unpack the source with a DOS program so
    that all directories will be adjusted to the DOS 8.3 file format necessary
    for compiling with DJGPP.  Do NOT use Winzip, because that will create
    long filenames that will not be recognized by DJGPP tools.

__Henry

PS mostly to Klaus, another possible way to close out README.win-386
   might be to take out of there what you think is important, and put
   it in MAKEFILE.W32 as a comment.  Then change the reference in
   CHANGES.new from README.win-386 to MAKEFILE.W32.  (I still think
   yesterday's suggestion is more economical and permanent, though.)
;
;