lynx-dev

Re: LYNX-DEV please help me with these urls (fwd)

From: Foteos Macrides
Subject: Re: LYNX-DEV please help me with these urls (fwd)
Date: Tue, 04 Nov 1997 14:31:02 -0500 (EST)

Wayne Buttles <address@hidden> forwarded to lynx-dev:

>From: Stephen LLOYD <address@hidden>
>Subject: please help me with these urls
>
>this html uses javascript.  can you tell me the write urls so Ican go to
>them manually?
>are you able to put in java support in either bobcat or lynx?
>also I'd like to know if you are able to make lynx work with https servers
>secure servers
>and can I get the lynx source code? not the normal lynx source code just
>the doslynx or the dos part of the source code.  when I unzip the lynx
>source code the filenames are too long and pkunzip doesn't get it all
>unzipped.
>thanks and I hope you can help.

        The JavaScript defined in the SCRIPT block (use trace mode to
see it's content) sets up a SendToTour() function which checks the
browser product token and version, and depending on those, and whether
a ?searchpart is included in the base URL (and is unwisely being used
in lieu of a fragment for purposes formally intended to be handled via
fragments), resolves the base with either:

                GuidedTour_16B/?searchpart
or:             GuidedTour/?searchpart

or:             GuidedTour_16B/Default.htm
or:             GuidedTour/Default.htm

and then based on an empty BODY block with an onLoad="SendToTour()"
attribute, loads the content of that resultant URL (whereas Lynx
presents an "empty document" because the BODY block is empty).

        This is another example of purely string manipulations and
consequent actions, which Lynx could do if it had the appropriate
code (as someone has been working on for a Masters thesis), and
which will become progressively more common on the Web, and
"expected" of browsers to handle, now that onFoo attributes have
been incorporated into the W3C's so-called HTML 4.0 draft.

                                Fote