lynx-dev

Re: LYNX-DEV scrollok and lynx_force_repaint

From: John E. Davis
Subject: Re: LYNX-DEV scrollok and lynx_force_repaint
Date: Thu, 6 Nov 1997 20:37:25 -0500

On Thu, 06 Nov 1997 18:30:44 -0500 (EST), Foteos Macrides <address@hidden> said:
>       I tried to explain that to you that last time this came up,
>and don't know I can do it more effectively now.  Slang does not
>have full control of the screen in all environments, and the assumption
>that it does unless something as foolish as you suggest is done perhaps
>is why slang has no highly efficient way to deal with such situations.
>On VMS, for example, one can have "unsolicited broadcasts", e.g., from
>the phone utility, or mail utility, etc., with alerts sent to the screen
>as they arrive.  Such broadcasts can be disabled at a user's discretion,
>but many leave them enabled and expect programs to have a "wipe" command
>(typcally ^W, which is a synonmym for ^L in Lynx).

I understand this completely.  I just do not want the program (lynx)
making the determination about when a screen contains garbage.  As I
stated earlier, only the user can make that determination and press ^L
to force a redraw.  The redraw should clear the screen and repaint it:

    void redraw_screen ()
    {
       SLsmg_suspend_smg ();
       SLsmg_resume_smg ();
    }

This will force SLANG to clear the screen and the redraw it.  However,
I think that the only way this should get called is if the user
presses Ctrl-L.

--John
;
;